Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kathy's 1st offering, a tease to come

Kathy fry is in a class all her own whn it coms to sea glass jeweling. her hart is so mcch more than shiny littl drops of sea glass......it begins ther, then thru th prosess of sorting, and th magic in her hart, it breeths life. that is her talent.


"Why would a landlocked midwesterner choose to work with sea glass?" you might ask...well, it all began on a trip to Puerto Rico. My husband and I were walking a beach, doing the usual beachcombing thing, when I spotted some colorful bits of what appeared to be glass amongst the shells and driftwood. I picked them up and brought them home along with my other treasures.

Intrigued by these little gems, I did some research, and discovered that they were indeed glass, pieces of old bottles and jars that had been tossed, scoured, and polished for decades by waves and sand into beautiful, colorful gems. They begged to be made into something lovely, so I began experimenting, wrapping them with sterling silver wire and adorning them with beads.

Since that first trip, we have returned each winter. We love Puerto Rico so much that we bought a small piece of land in the mountains of the southwestern part of the island and built a vacation house there (see our web site at www.escapetopr.com). We travel to the island at least twice a year, and on each trip, I make time to return to my favorite beaches to collect the glass I use to make the pieces you see here. All of my jewelry is made with genuine surf tumbled sea glass from the salt waters of the Atlantic and Caribbean.

My Etsy shop is named Silver Beach Sea Glass after my favorite beach on the island of Vieques, off the eastern shore of Puerto Rico. I would love to design a piece especially for you! 
She has donated this abslutly stunning and rare peese.
  what els needs to be sed!!!

Let the bidding begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment